Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Style Junkie Spring Fashion Report
Spring Must-Haves - Clothing Necessities
-If it's the only thing you do, buy a trench coat this spring. This is a piece of outwear that is timeless, we're talking eternally chic. I'm confident that my Grandma owns a trench, my mom wore one in the 80's and now I slip one on every spring.
- Buy a trench in black and don't pay over $100 for it. Black always looks expensive. Who doesn't love looking chic for less?!
- Do not pay attention to the fashion magazines that are claiming you should wear your trench as a dress this season. Who wants to wear a belted coat around the office all day? Your co-workers will think you're a crazy streaker.
- Wearing a floral pattern can be great or it can be disastrous. For us Midwestern girls i would suggest wearing a full floral skirt with a solid color tank or knit top. Top off the outfit with a pair of wooden platform sandals and you'll be smokin.'
-Please stay away from floral Capris. I once had to steer my mom away from a pair of cherry patterned spring Capris and i don't think I've ever been the same. Stick with the skirts and you'll thank me - promise.
-So comfy and perfect for those scorcher summer days. Buy these dresses in lightweight fabric and accessorize with chunky earrings and bracelets. Depending on the neckline, wrapping a ton of glitz around your neck might be a bit too much.
- You don't have to purchase a billion shirt dresses this season. Buy a couple of colors in the style you like and purchase two or three different belts that sit right on your waist. Mixing and matching the dresses and belts will make everyone think you've bought six or seven different outfits.
-These pants look good on any shape and size. I just bought a great pair of Level 99 trouser pants at Gina's in Grand Rapids and i would wear them everyday if i could. My favorite trouser fabric right now is denim but I've came across some great houndstooth and silk twill pants lately.
-Do not wear a loose fitting top with trouser pants, you'll look ten pounds heavier. I suggest a button down oxford (tucked in) and mile-high stilettos. Less is more with trouser pants because of the dramatic width.
-These shorts are great because you can dress them up or down. Wear during the day with a t-shirt, sunglasses and a pair of flip-flops. Dress up these shorts at night with a pair of stilettos and a sexy one-shoulder top.
-If you do buy a pair of cocktail shorts be sure to buy the correct length for your body type. The last thing i want to see when I'm walking down Monroe Center is a pair of butt cheeks hanging out of cocktail shorts. Classy is key ladies, remember that.
-I know what you're thinking, and no we will not look like crazy fools hunting wild game. Sporting safari wear this spring means wearing cute shrunken Khaki jackets. I'd also suggest wearing khaki dresses with wooden buttons and a belt to pull the whole look together.
- Pair chunky gold accessories with khaki - it will look amazing.
-If you're wearing a shrunken khaki jacket thrown on a pair of little white shorts and platform sandals - you'll look killer.
Stay tuned tomorrow for my shoe and accessory report!