Sunday, November 30, 2008

The down low on creating a trend

Do you ever saunter by the Gap, Banana Republic, Charlotte Russe, Forever 21, J. Crew, etc. and wonder how each multi-million dollar organization managed to design an eerily similar leopard trench coat for the season? (God help us)

I've always pondered the way a style cycle happens. Who actually decides the color palette for each season? And who determines the "in" fabrics? Most importantly, who was responsible for proclaiming the skinny jean revolution? (I might kill him/her)

I'll tell you who; trend services! That's right, season trends are mostly decided by international consulting firms that spend countless hours sifting through piles and piles of market research! Not to mention traveling the world to document global trends and international "must-haves." After a hard day's work the consultants prance back to the U.S. and paint a pretty little trend picture for the product hungry minions back here in the mortal world (and yes, I'm referring to myself).

Don't believe me? Check out 39th and Broadway's great explanation.

Interesting, eh?

No comments: